- Get up at the same time and get your butt out the door – go someplace where you can use a computer – this is your new job, it is called “Job Hunter” and you are the CEO of your future; so get out and do your work.
- Check your LinkedIn – First if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile you MUST have one. There is a saying that if you don’t have a LinkedIn profile you don’t exist. Maybe people you know have a new job, or a job anniversary – congratulate them! Do not mention you are job hunting in the same message. The idea here is to look for conversation, if local maybe coffee, then talk about the fact you are looking.
It is possible to connect with some people at your dream job. There are a lot of articles out there about how to approach someone you don’t know on LinkedIn – here are three I like.
One article about LinkedIn in general
Also, there are often great articles on LinkedIn written by people you know, this is a really good way to connect.
- Check your email – you would think this would be a no-brainer but it seems to be forgotten more often than it should be. You must have an email address on your résumé – so check it daily – several times a day. Answer emails in a timely manner and don’t forget follow-up emails.
- Check your calendar – do this in the morning to see what you have on your schedule and then at night to prep for the next day.
- Find a job and apply for it – get those keywords into your résumé – write a cover letter and submit. Jobs rarely fall into your lap so you have to work at it.
Keywords: #unemployed #linkedin #jobapplication